Sims Building History
- Built in 1880, the Sims Building was bought in 1890 by Isaac Stevenson who, with a later partner, John Cook, ran the Stevenson and Cook Engineering Company. The business played a large part in Port Chalmers’ creation and development.
- The company originally made simple appliances before Isaac Stevenson began major development.
- It became the most up-to-date plant engaged in ship building and repairing in the New Zealand Dominion
- As well as undertaking some of the Southern Hemisphere’s biggest ship-repair jobs, the company manufactured gold dredges for the Otago gold fields and constructed and fitted out ships for the two World Wars.
- Isaac Stevenson was a supporter and liberal benefactor to various sports clubs. In 1906, he was elected Mayor of Port Chalmers.
- In the 1930’s an extension was built onto the Sims Building by the Stevenson and Cook Engineering Company.
- The DCC took ownership of the Sims Building from the Port Chalmers Borough Council in the 1989 local authority amalgamation.
- It was leased by the Port Chalmers Yacht Club until the buildings could not be occupied any longer due to asbestos.
- In March 2017 an asbestos roof and cladding were removed from the Sims Building and it’s 1930’s extension.
Still didn't find what you were looking for?