This page provides the relevant information on the legislation.
There are two pieces of legislation to be considered. One is the District Plan for Dunedin. This provides for election signage as a permitted activity throughout the city. The District Plan has two permitted activity rules. The first rule (19.5.1(x)) provides for election signage on public sites identified on appendix 19A. The second rule (19.5.1(xi)) provides for election signage on private land. Signage that does not comply with the location requirements will require a resource consent.
The other piece of legislation is the Electoral (Advertisements of a Specified Kind) Regulations 2005. This was promulgated on 7 June 2005 by an Order in Council. The regulation provides for election signage. The associated explanatory note provides guidance on the general effect of the regulation. The regulation is reproduced on page seven of the Election Signs information pdf listed in the related information section.
The regulation is focused on sign content and duration. It over-rules District Plan Rule 19.5.1(x)(d), which states that signage can be displayed six weeks before an election; under the regulation, signs may be displayed up to two months before an election. The district plan rule does not control the content of the signage. The location of the signage remains subject to the requirements of Rule 19.5.1. The regulations therefore need to be read in conjunction with rule 19.5.1.
Please note that the sites set aside in the District Plan for election signage are currently under review, and issues have been identified with a number of these sites. Although this review has yet to be completed, and candidates are therefore legally entitled to erect signs within the election signage sites shown in the District Plan, it is advised that the following sites should not be used for signage for the 2017 national elections, for the following reasons:
- Quarry Road, Mosgiel. This site is no longer considered appropriate due to limited site space and the presence of a high voltage underground power cable running alongside the road (see Map A in the related information section).
- Church Street, Mosgiel. This site is no longer considered appropriate due to residential development immediately adjacent to the road reserve.
In addition, the site at Brighton Road, Waldronville, next to Kaikorai Estuary, has been planted with flaxes and other vegetation. Please take care not to damage any vegetation when erecting signs at this site.
See also the Election signs installation advice pdf, in the related information section, which contains information on underground power cabling to be avoided at several election signage sites.
The Otago Regional Council does not allow advertising on boat sheds, ramps, pontoons and jetties on Otago Harbour. Please refer to the document in the related information section.
- Central Otago DC Election Signage Information 2016 (PDF File, 53.2 KB | New window)
- Clutha DC Election Signs Policy 2016 (PDF File, 1.2 MB | New window)
- Election Signs Information (PDF File, 941.0 KB | New window)
- Election signs installation advice (PDF File, 56.5 KB | New window)
- Map A. Quarry Rd Mosgiel (PDF File, 3.6 MB | New window)
- Map B. Reid Avenue, Mosgiel (PDF File, 3.9 MB | New window)
- Map C. Puddle Alley, Mosgiel (PDF File, 3.4 MB | New window)
- Map D. Church Street, Mosgiel (PDF File, 3.3 MB | New window)
- Map E. Main Rd, Waldronville (PDF File, 2.4 MB | New window)
- Map F. Main Road, Fairfield (PDF File, 2.8 MB | New window)
- Map G. Caversham Bypass (PDF File, 3.1 MB | New window)
- Map H. Abbotsford Road (PDF File, 3.2 MB | New window)
- Map I. Stevenson Road (PDF File, 2.5 MB | New window)
- Map J. Main South Rd, Green Island (PDF File, 2.7 MB | New window)
- Map K. Brighton Road, Green Island (PDF File, 2.8 MB | New window)
- Map L. South Rd, Caversham (PDF File, 3.2 MB | New window)
- Map M. SH88 Ravensbourne (PDF File, 2.7 MB | New window)
- Map N. Aramoana Rd, Deborah Bay (PDF File, 2.5 MB | New window)
- Map O. Marne St-Larnach Road (PDF File, 2.4 MB | New window)
- Map P. Balmacewen Road (PDF File, 2.8 MB | New window)
- Map Q. Pine Hill Road (PDF File, 2.8 MB | New window)
- NZTA – Advertising on State Highways (PDF File, 90.1 KB | New window)
- ORC Boatshed Advertising Policy (PDF File, 14.0 KB | New window)
- Queenstown Lakes DC Election Signs Policy 2016 (PDF File, 25.2 KB | New window)
- Waitaki DC Election Hoardings Policy 2016 (PDF File, 75.9 KB | New window)
Still didn't find what you were looking for?