The New Zealand cruise market has seen considerable growth over the past decade. The Dunedin cruise season runs from October – April and has grown substantially over the past five years.
Dunedin’s vision "To be the premier cruise destination in New Zealand, where passengers and crew want to disembark, and after a memorable experience, they want to return."
The following key facts are relevant for Dunedin:
- Dunedin currently receives approximately 88% of all cruise ship passengers who visit New Zealand.
- Of those passengers who visit Dunedin approx 80% minimum will disembark (Thyne, Henry, Lloyd 2009).
- The rate of disembarkation in Dunedin appears to be higher, possibly because it is either the first or last port of call for New Zealand.
- Passenger expenditure is estimated at $125 per passenger.
- Of those crew who visit approx 50% will disembark for some period of time.
- Crew expenditure is extremely variable depending upon their position within the ship’s company and is estimated at $45 per crew member.
This developing cruise market presents a large opportunity to grow tourism in Dunedin, both from the immediate ship passenger and crew spend and visitation, and those who return to Dunedin after the cruise (having used their cruise visit as a reconnoitre), or indeed those who recommend Dunedin as a ‘must see’ visitor destination to others.
Planning on starting a business related to cruise ship visitor experiences?
Advice is available from Enterprise Dunedin's Visitor Industry Advisor - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cruise Operators Guide (PDF File, 499.7 KB | New window)
- Cruise Ship Calendar 2018-2019 (PDF File, 65.4 KB | New window)
- Cruise Ship Retailers Top Tips (PDF File, 96.1 KB | New window)
- Cruise Ship Street Marketing Guide (PDF File, 76.6 KB | New window)
- Dunedin Cruise Ship Action Plan (PDF File, 767.3 KB | New window)
- Norovirus and cruise ships advice for visitor industry (PDF File, 358.3 KB | New window)
- Support for industries - Tourism (Link | New window)
- Cruise Dunedin (Link to external website | New window)
- DunedinHOST (Link to external website | New window)
- Enterprise Dunedin (Link to external website | New window)
- New Zealand Cruise Association (Link to external website | New window)
- Port Otago (Link to external website | New window)
- Tourism New Zealand - Resources to support your tourism business (Link to external website | New window)
Still didn't find what you were looking for?