According to BERL, the sector is valued at approximately $330m, employs 4,447 people, nearly one in 10 people in Dunedin, and more than 560 businesses and organisations.
The sector’s major employers include Dunedin Hospital, the University of Otago and the private provider, Mercy Hospital.
Healthcare industry projects
Projects led and/or supported by the Economic Development Unit include:
- Healthcare Benchmarking Project, undertaken in 2009, to gain a clearer understanding of the contribution of healthcare to Dunedin's economy
- Co-operative recruiting initiative - between Mercy Hospital, the Southern District Health Board and the University
- Access to orientation tours of the city – for new migrants working in the health sector.
How can we help your healthcare business?
We can help with:
- Business planning
- Advocacy with other DCC departments
- Support to find and retain skilled staff.
To find out more about the healthcare industry and support for your business, contact Chanel O'Brien on 03 474 3736, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Still didn't find what you were looking for?