Warmer Kiwi Homes
Warmer Kiwi Homes administered by EECA is a government programme offering grants that covers two-thirds of the cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation. Additional contributions from third party funders, including the DCC, will make the cost to homeowners as low as possible in Dunedin.
To be eligible for a grant you must:
- be the homeowner (owner/occupier) of a home built before 2008; AND
- have a Community Services Card or SuperGold combo card; OR
- own and be living in a home in an area identified as lower-income (contact one of the service providers to find out if your address qualifies); OR
- be referred by the Healthy Homes Initiative.
Grants for heating appliances will be available from July 2019. These will be capped and can be for two-thirds of the cost. Talk to the service provider about eligibility for additional funding.
The approved service providers and further information are on the Energywise website (link to external website, new window). Please contact a local provider to confirm your eligibility for a grant.
The Warm Dunedin programme has assisted more than 1400 households to increase household warmth, health and comfort by providing a rates advance to help with the upfront costs of installing insulation and/or approved heating.
Better insulation and efficient heating mean our homes are warmer and heating costs reduced. Warmer, drier homes bring health benefits, especially for the young, the elderly and those with respiratory illness.
The main objectives of the Warm Dunedin Targeted Rate programme are to:
- reduce the effect of the upfront cost for insulation and/or approved heating
- improve the health of Dunedin residents
- improve the warmth of Dunedin’s housing stock
- improve the energy efficiency of Dunedin’s housing stock.
Approved products and suppliers
The Warm Dunedin programme only supports EECA Energywise insulation and heating products, and a DCC approved service provider must provide and install the product.
Warm Dunedin Service Providers
Ceiling and floor insulation
A range of insulation options are provided for both the ceiling and under floor. Please contact service providers for further information.
Products include wood burners, pellet fires, heat pumps and gas fires. Please contact service providers for further information. Eligibility for approved heating requires ceiling and floor insulation to be installed up to an EECA required standard. This can be done by installing insulation as part of this application, or your service provider can arrange to check your home's insulation complies.
Paying back the Warm Dunedin targeted rate
Repayments will be made as part of the normal rates payments via direct debit. The targeted rate will appear as a separate line on your rates account. Interest is charged to recover administration costs and the DCC's costs of borrowing the money used to fund the warm Dunedin advance. The interest rate is 6.8% per annum fixed and is charged from the date the DCC pays your service provider. The Warm Dunedin programme is intended to be cost neutral for the DCC.
Indicative monthly payments
|Targeted rate including GST||Annual payment||Monthly payment|
If the homeowner sells the property during the 10 year period, the rate remains with the property. The seller must disclose the targeted rate to the purchaser when selling.
Homeowners can pay off the full rate at any time, including as part of the sale of the property.
Eligibility for Warm Dunedin
To be eligible for Warm Dunedin targeted rate, you must:
- be the ratepayer of the property (including landlords). The property must be within the Dunedin city boundary and have been built before the year 2000
- be up-to-date with your rates payments and have a good rates payment history
- agree to pay all your rates by direct debit on an agreed basis (ideally monthly, fortnightly or weekly) for the period of the targeted rate (10 years)
- provide a quote for approved insulation and heating from your DCC-registered service provider
- with your service provider, correctly fill in the required areas of all forms and meet all the requirements of the Warm Dunedin programme.
For further information please see or contact the DCC on 03 477 4000.
Other insulation programmes available
Low-income homeowners may be eligible for EECA funding for insulation. For more details, visit Energywise website (link to external website, new window) or phone EECA on 0800 358 676.
Still didn't find what you were looking for?