Current Alerts and Notices (View all)

Road conditions(2) Water shutdowns(1)

Dunedin City Council – Kaunihera-a-rohe o Otepoti

Objecting to an alcohol licence application

Any person over the age of 18 can formally object to a licence application if they have a greater interest than the public generally.

All alcohol licence applications must be publicly notified in the Otago Daily Times and via a notice placed on the premises to which the application refers.

Any person can object to a licence application if they have a greater interest than the public generally.

What can you object to?

The matters that can be objected are prescribed in law and include:

For new applications

  • the suitability of the applicant to hold an alcohol licence
  • the days and hours on which alcohol will be sold
  • design and layout of the premises
  • whether the applicant is or will be engaged in the sale or supply of goods or services other than the sale of alcohol, low-alcohol refreshments, non-alcoholic refreshments and food
  • the amenity and good order of the locality
  • the systems, staff and training to comply with the law.

For renewal applications

  • the suitability of the licensee
  • the conditions attached to the licence
  • the manner in which the licensee has conducted the sale and supply of liquor pursuant to the licence
  • the matters described above for new applications
  • matters dealt with in any report made by the police, licensing inspector or Medical Officer of Health.

More complete information can be found in sections 102 and 128 of the Act.

How do you object?

Objections against a licence application, new or renewal, must be made in writing and submitted to the District Licensing Committee within 15 working days of the application's first public notice.

Objections can be completed:

  • Online: Alcohol licence objection form (form opens in new window)
  • Email: (new window)
  • Post: Alcohol Licensing Administration, Dunedin City Council, PO Box 5045, Moray Place, Dunedin 9054
  • Hand deliver to: Dunedin City Council Customer Service Centre, 50 The Octagon, Dunedin

A guide to the objection process is available from website. (link to external website, new window)

When there are objections to the application from the public or matters of concern raised by the Police, Medical Officer of Health or Licensing Inspector, the application will be forwarded to the DLC for determination at a public hearing. It is important therefore to state whether or not you wish to be heard at any hearing in support of your objection. It is expected that you will appear to speak in support of your opposition at the hearing.

If you would like any more information about objecting to a licence application, you can contact the District Licensing Committee on 03 477 4000.

Still didn't find what you were looking for?