We administer 20 cemeteries and one crematorium in Dunedin, ranging in size from small rural areas to the wide-open spaces of Andersons Bay Cemetery.
We organise and oversee the maintenance of all the plantings, lawns and facilities at these cemeteries.
The cemeteries and the crematorium are administered in accordance with the Burials and Cremation Act 1964 and any amendments of that Act.
Cemetery gate opening hours
Vehicles are not allowed in Andersons Bay, Southern, Northern, Green Park and Dunedin Cemeteries between:
- 5.30pm - 8am from April - September
- 7.30pm - 7.30am from October - March
Vehicles are not permitted in any of the other DCC cemeteries between sunset and sunrise.
Dogs are allowed on leash. As per Dog Control Bylaw 2016 (link to external website, new window)
Cemetery office hours
Office hours are Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.
The Dunedin Crematorium Office is at Andersons Bay Cemetery, 198 Tomahawk Road, Andersons Bay. Phone: 03 477 4000 Email email@example.com.
The office is closed to observe the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- 2 January
- Waitangi Day
- Otago Anniversary Day
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- Anzac Day
- Queen's Birthday
- Labour Day
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
Arranging a funeral
Information can be found on Funerals New Zealand's website (link to external website, new window)
Genealogy and grave enquiries
We can help with genealogical and grave location enquiries for any of the cemeteries during office hours. Phone: 03 477 4000 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also conduct a name search using the cemeteries online search form
The information is provided by the funeral director and family at the time of cremation or burial.
Researching family history
More information about family history can be found at:
- All Dunedin Libraries
- Dunedin City Council Archives, Civic Centre, The Octagon, Dunedin
- Hocken Library, Anzac Avenue, Dunedin
- Toitū Otago Settlers Museum, Queens Gardens, Dunedin
- Genealogy Society.
- Application for Allocation of plot (PDF File, 56.1 KB | New window)
- Application for Cremation (PDF File, 37.6 KB | New window)
- Application for Permission to Cremate (PDF File, 50.0 KB | New window)
- Cemeteries and Crematorium Practices and Procedures (PDF File, 486.3 KB | New window)
- Certificate of Medical Practioner (PDF File, 58.5 KB | New window)
- Guide for Preservation of Graves and Memorials (PDF File, 2.1 MB | New window)
- Memorial Facilities (PDF File, 145.2 KB | New window)
- Natural Burials at Green Park Cemetery (PDF File, 178.1 KB | New window)
- Register of cremations (PDF File, 32.6 KB | New window)
- DCC Archives (Link | New window)
- Genealogy Search Survey (Link | New window)
- Dunedin Libraries' cemeteries and directories (Link to external website | New window)
Still didn't find what you were looking for?