Last updated: 15 Mar 2019 12:16pm
Goal 1: Dunedin is resilient and carbon zero
Mō tātou, ā, mō kā uri, ā muri ake nei
Dunedin people have always faced environmental changes and extreme weather events. We will do our part as members of the global community to reduce the causes and severity of climate change by reducing our local emissions (mitigation). We will also develop ways to increase our resilience to withstand and recover from the adverse effects of a changing climate and environment (adaptation). We will take an intergenerational approach to looking after the environment by considering future generations in everything we do, and we will manage our natural resources sustainably for Dunedin’s long-term health, wellbeing and prosperity.
- Impact positively on the global environment
- Plan for and adapt to climate change
- Manage natural resources sustainably.
How we’ll achieve this
- reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- be energy efficient 
- investigate innovative renewable energy solutions
- minimise waste
- deliver a low carbon transport system
- make sure our infrastructure supports positive environmental outcomes
- develop resilient and sustainable supply chains
- use natural resources with future generations in mind
- implement appropriate climate change mitigation and adaptation responses.
Compact of Mayors
- Progress work as part of the Compact of Mayors commitment to measure city greenhouse gas emissions, set emission reduction targets and develop and deliver an action plan to reduce emissions.
Climate Change Adaptation
- Develop and implement a climate change adaptation plan and investigate options for areas affected or threatened by sea level rise..
Delivering on Existing Commitments
- Deliver key city commitments and continue work already underway that contributes to this goal (notably the Energy Plan 1.0, the Integrated Transport Strategy, the 3 Waters Strategic Direction Statement and the Waste Management and Minimisation Plan).
Indicators of change
- City greenhouse gas emissions
- Non-landfill greenhouse gas emissions
- Percentage of Dunedin census respondents who cycle, walk or take public transport to work
- Number of Dunedin people vulnerable to climate change impacts.
- Compact of Mayors and Emissions Management and Reduction Plan
- Energy Plan 1.0
- Energy Plan 1.0
- Waste Management and Minimisation Plan 2013
- Dunedin City Integrated Transport Strategy
Still didn't find what you were looking for?