The microchip provides a secure, life-long identification for your dog.
Dogs that need to be microchipped
You must microchip dogs that are:
- Being registered for the first time
- Impounded and unregistered
- Impounded a second time since 1 July 2006
- All of the following breeds:
- Brazilian Fila
- Dogo Argentino
- Japanese Tosa
- Pit Bull Terriers or predominantly Pit Bull types
- Classified as dangerous or menacing by action since 1 December 2003
Working farm dogs do not need to be micro chipped although you may need to prove that this applies to your dog. If your dog is impounded while unregistered, it may be micro chipped.
Who does the microchipping?
It is best to get your vet to perform this operation, as it has to be done to a certain standard. It costs between $12 and $20 for the microchip plus an insertion fee.
Failure to microchip
If your dog is not micro-chipped within two months of its registration, you may be issued a $300 infringement notice.
Still didn't find what you were looking for?