If you meet the criteria below you may qualify for the 2018/2019 rates rebate.
The Dunedin City Council will post out this year’s new (grey/gold) applications in late August 2018 to ratepayers who qualified in the last rating year. Processing of the applications will not commence until September 2018.
We require all information to be completed on the application form including the Otago Regional Council Rates. Incomplete applications will be returned.
The maximum 2018/2019 rate rebate is $630.00. The rate rebate is credited to your rate account.
Am I eligible?
The rebate is calculated on income, dependants (if any) and the amount of rates you pay.
- Your name is on the Rating Information database; and
- You pay the rates on the address that you live at, and
- You were living there on 1 July 2018.
- You may still be able to qualify if your total gross income (including partner/joint homeowner living with you on 1 July 2018) exceeds the threshold amount of $25,180.00 depending on the rates you pay and number of dependants.
- Please use the DIA Calculator below to see if you qualify
Supporting evidence required by self-employed applicants
- In previous years it has been unclear what financial accounts needed to be provided. The Department of Internal Affairs have updated the form to show that self-employed applicants need to supply a copy of the complete set of financial accounts, IR3B or IR10 provided to Inland Revenue for the income year 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018.
Do I declare Working for Family tax credits?
- No Family tax credits
- Yes In-work tax credits
- Yes Minimum Family tax credits
- Yes Parental tax credits
Telephone Inland Revenue on 0800 227 773 for a breakdown of these payments.
If you live in a retirement village
- From this year, most retirement village residents are able to apply if you do not own your unit, e.g. you hold a licence to occupy agreement. A declaration form is required to be filled in by the retirement village operator and must be included with the form for submission. Contact your village operator for more information.
Rates rebate calculator
To see if you are eligible for a rebate, use the Rates Rebate Entitlement Calculator (link to external website, new window). Until all details are provided this provides only an estimate.
Get your application witnessed
Your signature must be witnessed as outlined on the rates rebate form. You can bring your unsigned application form into one of our service centres and can witness your signature.
- Customer Services Agency - 50 The Octagon, Dunedin
- Mosgiel Service Centre - 7 Hartstonge Avenue, Mosgiel. Monday to Friday 9.30am - 5pm.
- Port Chalmers Service Centre - Corner Beach & Grey Streets, Port Chalmers. Monday to Friday 9.30am - 5pm.
- Blueskin Service Centre - 26 Harvey Street, Blueskin Bay. Monday & Tuesday 2pm - 5pm ; Wednesday to Friday 10am - 12pm and 2pm - 5pm.
- Waikouaiti Service Centre - 192 Main Rd, Waikouaiti. Monday, Tuesday & Thursday 1.30pm – 5pm ; Wednesday & Friday 10am - 5pm.
- South Dunedin Hub - 199 Hillside Road, South Dunedin. Tuesday & Thursday 11am – 4pm ; Wednesday & Friday 11am - 5pm.
Still didn't find what you were looking for?