You must have a permit to busk in Dunedin.
There is no charge for a busking permit, but there are some conditions. These conditions are to make sure everyone enjoys our public spaces and are listed on the busking permit application in the related information section area.
If you are under 14, you must have your parent or caregiver’s consent. We may require proof of age.
Permits are posted within two working days and are valid for one year from the date of issue.
Remember to have your permit displayed prominently when you are performing.
Booking system for the lower Octagon during cruise ship season
To avoid buskers competing for spots in the lower Octagon on week days when cruise ships are visiting we have introduced a booking system. There is no need to book outside of cruise ship season. Dates for cruise ships visits are noted on Cruise ships information in the related information section.
The main points to note are:
- If you are interested in making a booking you will need to phone us or come into the Customer Services Agency. You will need to quote your busking permit number, name and phone number.
- The booking is for the person/people named on the Busing Permit ie: if two people have separate busking permits you cannot make two bookings and perform together for one hour. If two people are on one permit you can only book one half hour slot.
- Bookings are only required for the lower Octagon for week days. No bookings are required over weekends.
- Time slots are available in half hour blocks starting at 1.30pm and finishing at 4.30pm.
- You can book for only one half hour slot per day and cannot book several slots in advance.
- All conditions noted on your permit remain valid.
Still didn't find what you were looking for?