Current Alerts and Notices (View all)

Road conditions(2) Swimming pools notice(1)

Dunedin City Council – Kaunihera-a-rohe o Otepoti

The Mobile Trading and Temporary Stall Bylaw was adopted in 2014 and covers hawking, touting and trading from a mobile vehicle or stall. All these activities require a mobile trading licence.

You can download and print the bylaw from the related information.

Key definitions

  • A hawker is a person who sells goods door to door.
  • A mobile shop operator sells goods from a vehicle or stall in public places such as the road.


Unless permission has been granted by the appropriate DCC departments, holders of mobile trading licences may not trade in the following areas.

  • Parks and reserves, including car parks and roads in reserves.
  • Restricted roads (George Street to Albany Street, Princes Street to Jetty Street, lower Stuart Street between Moray Place and the Octagon, Moray Place, the Octagon and Wickliffe Square).
  • Restricted areas - any area where it is not permitted to stop a vehicle, for example under the Road User Rule or the Traffic and Parking Bylaw.

The operator of any mobile shop must not occupy any general location for acumulative period exceeding 12 hours in any 24 hour period.

Getting a mobile trading licence

Discuss your proposal for a mobile trading licence with Environmental Health staff beforehand to ensure you understand any regulations and conditions,particularly if you wish to sell food.

Before you can trade you will need to apply for and obtain a mobile trading licence. If you intend to sell food you will also need to obtain a certificate of registration under the Food Act 2014.

There is a fee to register a mobile trading licence. See Environmental Health Fees and Charges.

You can download and print an Application for a mobile trading licence or contact Environmental Health.

Mobile trading leased sites

There are sites available for registered mobile traders to lease at the Exchange (Wickliffe Square), the Octagon and the Museum Reserve. For more information about these sites, please contact us.

Selling food as a mobile trader

If you are selling food, it must be prepared either in the mobile vehicle or from a base kitchen. Alongside your mobile trading licence, the food business must also be registered under the Food Act 2014.

Temporary food stalls

Application forms for a temporary food stall are available from the Council website, or from Environmental Health or the Customer Services Agencies. You may wish to discuss your proposal with Environmental Health staff beforehand, to ensure you are fully aware of your responsibilities in terms of selling safe food.

Still didn't find what you were looking for?