- Phone us Monday-Friday 8am-6pm, Saturday-Sunday 9am-5pm. We will take your details and complete the application form with you over the phone. An account for the registration fee will be forwarded to you in the post.
- Visit us and complete the application form. We can help you through this and you can pay your registration fee at the same time.
Between 5pm and 8am our on-call Animal Services Officer will respond to these complaints.
- Dog attacks on a person or animal
- Aggressive dogs
- Wandering dogs which have been secured and are able to be collected by staff
- Wandering stock
For other complaints, such as those below, please call us on +64 3 477 4000 between 8am and 5pm.
- Wandering dogs
Frequently asked questions
What does Effective Control mean?
Under effective control means, when referring to a dog, the dog is not causing a nuisance or danger and that the person in charge of the dog has the dog under continuous surveillance and is able to obtain the desired response from the dog by use of leash and, when not on a leash, by use of vocal commands, hand signals, whistles or other effective means.
I am away during July. What shall I do about reregistering my dog?
If possible, ask the person who is looking after your dog to reregister it for you.
I am visiting from another district - do I need to let you know about my dog?
If you are here for more than six weeks, you will need to come in and swap the tag for a Dunedin tag at no charge, and fill out registration form. You can swap it back when you go home.
I have a Seeing Eye or companion dog - can I get cheaper registration?
Yes - you will need to provide proof from the appropriate association. You can register your dog as a companion dog if the dog has completed the approved national training with the Companion Aid Foundation.
Can I adopt a dog from the DCC pound?
Yes. There are some stages:
- Please visit the Customer Services Centre in the Civic Centre, or check the Public Notices - Impoundings in the related information section, to view a photo of the dog. We will check that is it a suitable dog for adoption. If you wish to visit the dog, an appointment can be made through Customer Services.
- We will record your name and contact details and discuss the adoption fee with you. This fee includes registration and microchipping - check the Animal Services Fees related information section.
- Call us back seven days after the dog was impounded to ensure it is still available.
- We will send an animal control officer to do a property inspection and if all is ok, the dog will be put on our neutering list. This is one of the conditions of adoption.
- If the dog is still available and you have had your inspection and paid the fee, you will be able to collect your new pet and your new owner pack.
- Dog Registration Form (PDF File, 26.8 KB | New window)
- Information for Dog Owners booklet (PDF File, 497.0 KB | New window)
- Registration refund application (PDF File, 130.3 KB | New window)
- Dog Control Bylaw (Link | New window)
- Dog Control Bylaw Schedule E Maps (Link | New window)
- Dog registration form (Link | New window)
- Dog registration renewal online (Link | New window)
- Public Notices - Impoundings (Link | New window)
- Update your dog details (Link | New window)
Still didn't find what you were looking for?