Extraordinary Council meeting
An Extraordinary Council meeting was held on 19 March 2019 which was not previously advertised, the resolution passed:
That the Council:
- Expresses its abhorrence at the murders of 50 Muslim brothers and sisters in Christchurch on 15 March 2019
- Offers its fulsome sympathy and condolences to the whanau and friends of those killed and injured.
- Seeks where possible, ways to support those affected by the tragedy.
- Exhorts our entire national and civic community to offer aroha, support and compassion to the victims, their families and to each other.
- Expresses zero tolerance of any form of abuse, denigration, discrimination or demonisation, no matter how small.
- Expresses this Council’s solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters in the aftermath of this tragedy.