Last updated: 15 May 2017 11:19am
Goal 2: Dunedin has a healthy environment
He ao tūroa, he ao
Dunedin has a diverse range of flora and fauna on public and private land, and in urban, rural, freshwater and coastal areas. We will take collective action in a holistic way that draws on science, mātauraka Māori and good environmental practice to maintain, improve and measure biodiversity values,
ecosystem services and the overall health of our environment.
- Sustain ecosystem services
- Increase indigenous biodiversity
- Restore areas of ecological value.
How we’ll achieve this
- safeguard the life-supporting capacity (mauri) of indigenous and taoka species’ habitats
- protect important ecological areas
- protect areas of importance to Kāi Tahu
- take a landscape-scale approach to protecting ecosystems and increasing biodiversity
- reduce wastewater overflows
- reduce polluting discharges to the land, air and water
- draw on science, mātauraka Māori and good environmental practice
- use the best technology available for managing pests.
- Develop and implement an integrated landscape-scale pest management plan.
Ecosystem Health Boost
- Identify and protect areas of ecological significance, establish biodiversity and ecosystem health measures and establish integrated planning for key environmental areas including air, water and soil standards.
- Work with landowners to integrate biodiversity into productive environments and to help sustain ecosystem services.
Indicators of change
- Air quality, with performance benchmarked against National Environmental Standards (NES) air standard of PM10
- Soil contamination assessments, with performance benchmarked against the National Environmental Standards (NES) standards
- The water quality of Dunedin’s lakes and rivers, including coastal and recreational risk, using Land Air Water Aotearoa (LAWA) measures
- Dunedin’s natural ecosystems benefitting from pest management (Department of Conservation measure)
- Biodiversity and ecosystem health (new measure).
Still didn't find what you were looking for?