We have a vested interest in ensuring the youth of Dunedin get all the support and education that they need to make informed decisions about their futures.
Ötepoti Youth Vision
The Ötepoti Youth Vision, which supports the wellbeing and empowerment of 12 – 24 year olds living in Dunedin, will be officially launched on 16 May 2019.
The Vision was developed over the past 18 months with the input of youth and youth-friendly organisations. The Dunedin City Council, in partnership with the Dunedin Youth Council and Youth Action Committee is the umbrella organisation for the Vision.
The Vision states:
In Ōtepoti (Dunedin) young people are valued, accepted and empowered to lead fulfilled lives, and wellbeing is nurtured.
- Tino Rangatahi Tanga – self-determination and self-empowerment
- Manaakitanga – care, support and acceptance
- Communities and organisations are welcoming of all young people.
- Young people feel safe, are being nurtured, accepted and empowered.
- The unique capabilities and contributions of youth are being valued and celebrated.
- Participation and leadership by youth is being encouraged and fostered.
- Pathways, spaces, services and activities are promoted and accessible for all youth so they can achieve their potential.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Ötepoti Youth Vision
Youth Vision Art Competition Open from 4 March – 1 April
Young people aged 12 – 24 years have the chance to put to express their understanding of the Youth Vision through art.
From 4 March – 1 April 2019 entries are open to the Ötepoti Youth Vision Art Competition – with a chance to win an iPhone X – and have the winning artwork on posters, this webpage, Facebook and t-shirts promoting the Vision.
For more information on the entry see the entry form
For further information about the Youth Vision contact Joy.Gunn@dcc.govt.nz
We have many projects, strategies and initiatives in place to help them do this.
Our Long Term Council Community Plan lists seven outcomes for Dunedin city:
- Wealthy City
- Accessible City
- Safe and Healthy People
- Sustainable City and Environment
- Culture and Learning
- Supportive Community
- Active City.
Young Persons' Strategy
The purpose of the Young Persons' Strategy is to ensure young people and their views and aspirations are included in this vision for Dunedin's future and to ensure that young peoples' needs are included within each of these outcomes.
- Collaborating for Youth Success (PDF File, 2.1 MB | New window)
- Collaborating for Youth Success: At a Glance (PDF File, 310.4 KB | New window)
- Collaborating for Youth Success: Executive Summary (PDF File, 1.2 MB | New window)
- Collaborating for Youth Success: Report (PDF File, 245.2 KB | New window)
- Implementation Plan (PDF File, 547.3 KB | New window)
- Young Persons 2007 (PDF File, 418.1 KB | New window)
- Youth at risk report 2003 (PDF File, 150.5 KB | New window)
Still didn't find what you were looking for?