Current Alerts and Notices (View all)

Road conditions(2) Swimming pools notice(1)

Dunedin City Council – Kaunihera-a-rohe o Otepoti
Building plan.

How to complete an application form

Information collected in this form is utilised by Government departments such as, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, Statistics New Zealand, and Fire and Emergency New Zealand.

Details about the building (this section is important and must be fully completed)
Street address:  This section must be completed. Full street address/location or physical address of the building where the building work is proposed. If title has not been issued the address is the address of the sub-division, not the proposed lot number of the section. 
Legal description and valuation number:  This section must be completed. Lot and deposited plan (DP) or section and block. Provide the valuation number. This information can be sourced from the rates demand and/or certificate of title. 
Building name:  This section typically relates to large buildings such as business premises or tower blocks or hospitals. If not applicable, place N/A in this section. 
Location within site/block:  This section typically relates to large rural properties or complexes such as rest homes, school campuses etc. If not applicable, place N/A in this section.
Number of levels:  This section must be completed. If the building contains multiple levels nominate the number of levels. A house with an occupied basement or lower garage is two levels.  A single level house is one level.
Level/unit number:  This section must be completed. If your building is situated on a cross lease or subdivided section or is in an apartment block or complex and is identified by a unit number / letter. If not applicable, place N/A in this section. 
Floor area:  This section must be completed. It requires you to identify the gross floor area affected by the proposed building work. 
Current lawfully established use:  This section must be completed. There are seven classified uses identified in the Building Regulations 1992 Clause A1, and a building may have one or more intended uses. It is important that building consent applications correctly identify the current legal use of the building and number of occupants. If the building is new nominate the proposed use(s).
Year first constructed:  This section applies to existing buildings and requires you to identify the age of the building if the building is being altered. If the building is new; nominate new or 0.
Type of application:  Select the applicable application type e.g. PIM or PIM and Building Consent. Note any existing project information memorandum (PIM) numbers and/or building consents. The name of owner or owner’s agent, their signature and date is required. Address for service relates to the ‘owners address’, as specified on page 2. This is about the serving of official notices relating to the building consent (if applicable), not the address where the issued building consent is to be sent.  
Please nominate if there is not an email address available for communications.
The project
Description of building work:  Describe the work fully and accurately. For example: Erect three bedroom dwelling with attached double garage.Additions and alterations - addition of new master bedroom with ensuite. Alterations - include refurbishing existing bathroom, installing new bath, shower, hand-basin and WC.
Please include the solid fuel burner make and model, nominate solar hot water and a septic tank if they form part of the building work. Identify any earthquake strengthening work. Note and locate on a plan if a building (or part of a building) is being demolished.
Current use of building:  State the current legal use of the building as per the Building (Specified Systems, Change the Use, and Earthquake-prone Building) Regulations 2005 – Schedule 2 uses in the related information area. For example detached residential dwelling (SH). Commercial – public use/retail (CS).
Change of use:  A change of use is when the use, Building (Specified Systems, Change the Use, and Earthquake-prone Building) Regulations 2005 - Schedule 2 in the related information area, of a building is changed and the new use is more onerous than the existing use. An example of a change of use would be a residential dwelling (e.g. SH) converted into a café/ bar (e.g. CS or CL). 
Intended life of the building:  It is important that the building consent application accurately reflects the life of the building. The life of a building can be anything from 2 days (temporary structure) through to 50+ years. Typically most applications will be designed with a 50-year life, for example new buildings e.g. dwellings, garages, factories, warehouses, shopping centres, concrete swimming pools etc.
List of previously issued building consents:  Building consents previously issued for the project if applicable. 
Estimated value including GST:  The value should accurately reflect all building costs associated with the project including labour (both paid and unpaid) and material costs. The value of building work is used for government valuations and also determines the amount of levies payable on the project. Government levies are not payable where the value of work is less than $20,444 (incl. GST). 
Prescribed energy work:  Energy works certificates are certificates issued by registered electricians or gasfitters and are automatically accepted as establishing compliance with the relevant sections of the NZ Building Code. Provide details of the energy work if included in the consent application. The code compliance certificate is unable to be issued until we have been provided with copies of the certificates on completion of construction. 
Owners name, address and contact details:  Please provide all your contact details. Provide a valid email address to receive electronic communications. 
Evidence of ownership:  One of the following is required: Certificate of title, lease agreement, agreement for sale and purchase, other document providing evidence of ownership e.g. copy of rates information. 
Agents name, address and contact details:  This section only needs to be completed if a person is acting on behalf of the owner. An agent may be the building practitioner, designer or a relative. You do not have to have an agent to represent you but it can be useful particularly where the Council has technical questions about the application.
Provide a valid email address to receive electronic communications.
First point of contact
Owner, agent or nominated contact:  It is important we know who to contact in the event of an enquiry. Please notify us if there is a change to the first point of contact to ensure we get building consent related correspondence to the appropriate person. Provide a valid email address to receive electronic communications.
Billing details
The account payer/debtor:  It is important to note that unless otherwise advised the debtor will be charged for all additional processing and inspection fees and also any compliance schedule processing costs should they arise. The person prepared to do this should be nominated in this role; any changes to this should be advised as soon as possible. 
Restricted building work (RBW)
Will the building work include any restricted building work:  Restricted building work (RBW) is work which is critical to the primary structure, weather tightness or fire rating of a residential dwelling.
Provide details of all the Licensed Building Practitioners who will be carrying out and/or supervising the design and construction of the RBW.
Provide a certificate of design work (Memorandum). Restricted building work (LBP) for all licenced building practitioners.
Project information memorandum (supporting documentation)- select only if applicable
Subdivision:  If a subdivision of the property is involved resource consent will be required. 
Alterations to land contours:  For example, digging out the site for a building platform, installing a retaining wall. 
Public utilities:  For example, if you are planning to build or connect into the Council sewer, stormwater drains or water mains. 
New or altered locations/ external dimensions of buildings:  Resource consent may be required. 
Vehicle access:  If a vehicle crossing is being installed or altered, application must be made to the Council for approval to build on public land. 
Building work over or adjacent to any road or public place:  If you are planning to build over or adjacent to any road or public place special permission is required along with safety precautions to protect the public. 
Disposal of stormwater and wastewater:  Where connection to the public drainage system is not available, stormwater and wastewater must be disposed of on-site. Details of the disposal system will be required. 
Building work over existing drains or sewers or in close proximity to wells or water mains:  If you are planning to build over or within 2.5m of a Council sewer, permission is required along with precautions to protect the Council sewer. We recommend you discuss the requirements with DCC Water and Waste before lodging your application. 
Other matters:  If known to the applicant, may require authorisation from the Territorial Authority. For example registered historical buildings. 
Building consent
Means of compliance:  This section of the application form is the most difficult to complete and often skipped because applicants do not understand it; however, it is important and must be completed.
It provides information to the Council about how compliance with the NZ Building Code has been established. Compliance may be established in several ways; by using the acceptable solutions, alternative solutions, verification methods (producer statements), product Codemark Certificate, energy works certificates or determinations.
Waivers and modification of the NZ Building Code may also be requested and should be noted here.
If alternative solutions are provided as a means of compliance, please complete the Alternative Solution Form - refer to Building forms and guidance page in the related information area.
We strongly recommend that applicants seek the advice of design professionals to complete this section.
Compliance schedule
Specified systems: If the application involves specified systems, the Compliance Schedule Specified Systems Form (SBCG 27) and the individual Specified System Forms (SS Forms) are required to be completed. Include; a list of the specified systems being added, altered or removed as part of the building consent application and the compliance standards, version (year) of those standards, and inspection, maintenance and reporting requirements for each system.These forms can be found under Compliance Schedule Information– Building forms and guidance in the related information area
Attachments - (supporting documentation)
Plans and specifications:  Two full sets (one set if submitted online) of consent drawings containing all relevant information to demonstrate compliance with the relevant sections of the NZ Building Code. Specifications relevant to the project must be provided along with any structural calculations. Please do not submit full manufacturers’ manuals for Gib, James Hardie or other similar products or systems, only submit the relevant sections.  Do not include in the application multiple options (such as cladding details) or conflicting information (such as NZS 3604:2011 lintels sizes and a lintel design from a Truss Manufacturer).
Memoranda (certificates of design work) and home owner exemptions:  Provide certificates of design work (or memorandum) from the Licensed Building Practitioner(s) who carried out or supervised any design work that is restricted building work. 
Owner builder exemption forms if applicable must be completed.  Note this is a statutory declaration which must be witnessed by a JP, Lawyer or notary public. Forms are available MBIE - Obligations and responsibilities of owner-builders and their building project link in the related information area.
Project information memorandum (PIM):  If you have already obtained a (PIM), attach a copy with the application. 
Development Contribution Notice:  The Development Contributions Policy is a policy adopted by the Council under the Local Government Act 2002. It allows the Council to require cash contributions when new development occurs. The Council then uses the funds collected to carry out capital works caused by or benefiting that development. 
Certificate of title:  Full copy of the certificate of title, including easements, consent notices and encumbrances if listed. Copy date of certificate of title must be less than 6 months old at the time of application and include the plan of the property. 
Contacts  (list of building professionals involved in the project)
A list of all professionals involved in the project shall be provided at the time of lodgement, if known. If the applicant does not know who the tradespeople will be, this information can be provided at a later stage.

Still didn't find what you were looking for?