Current Alerts and Notices (View all)

Road conditions(2) Swimming pools notice(1)

Dunedin City Council – Kaunihera-a-rohe o Otepoti
Building plan.

Making an application for building consent

Providing a good application will avoid unnecessary delays. Everyone involved benefits from a complete, accurate, easily understood application as it becomes the plan everyone has to follow.

How do I apply for a building consent?

Download a building consent application pack. A range of guidance information can also be downloaded from the Building forms and guidance in the related information area.

The Building Act requires that all sections of the application form be completed in full. Information collected in this form is utilised by government departments such as, the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment, Statistics New Zealand and Fire and Emergency New Zealand. All the information as specified in the check sheet must be provided with the application.  Guidance on how to complete an application form is available on How to complete an application form (new window)

It is important that your application is as detailed as possible to enable us to be satisfied the proposed building work when constructed meets the requirements of the Building Act and building code.

You can find useful information and publications about applying for building consent by visiting the Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment website in the related information area.

How do I submit my building consent application?

Once you have all the required information and documentation, you can submit your application using one of the following methods:

  • OnlineSubmit a building application (new window)
  • In person: Building Services Enquiries Desk, Ground Floor, Civic Centre, 50 The Octagon, Dunedin
  • By post: Building Services, Dunedin City Council, PO Box 5045, Dunedin 9054

If submitting an application online please make sure you register first.

  • How much will my building consent cost?

    It depends on the complexity of the building project and the level of detail provided. Processing costs, an estimated number of inspection, drainage connections, levies and certifying the work is charged for. Costs may vary depending on the time an officer spends processing your application and requests for further information will impact on the cost.

    Payment for any outstanding costs is required before the consent will be issued. An invoice will be sent to the payee nominated at lodgement.

    If building consent is refused, the applicant will be required to pay any costs incurred with processing the application.

    If the amount paid is not sufficient to cover the number of inspections undertaken, additional fees will be charged and may be interim billed during the project. Before the code compliance certificate is issued, charges for the total number of inspections will be checked. Any outstanding charges must be paid before the code compliance certificate is issued.

    Inspections costs that are less than the deposit paid will be refunded when the code compliance certificate is issued.

    You can estimate your building consent fees for work up to $700,000 by using the Building consent fees, and charges estimator in the related information area.

  • Levies

    We are required to collect these levies on behalf of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) - Building and Housing Group and Building Research Association of New Zealand (BRANZ). Projects valued $20,000 and over are required to pay the BRANZ levy and projects valued $20,444 and over are required to pay the MBIE levy.

    If the consent is staged or amended, the payable levy is assessed on the total project value.

    A Building Consent Authority (BCA) levy applies to all building consent applications. This levy is also payable on amended and staged building consent applications.

    A notification is sent advising you of the amount of all levies payable for your project.

  • How can I pay?

    Payments can be made by cash, EFTPOS, cheque or internet banking. We are unable to accept credit card payments at this stage.

  • Paying by internet banking

    You can use internet banking to pay application fees. Payments are credited to our account on the next business day. To avoid delays, please ensure you include the debtor and invoice number in the code and reference fields (this information is available on the invoice).

    Internet payments appear in DCC records the following day and payment is matched to the building consent record which alerts Building Services to release the consent documents. It is not necessary to advise building payment has been made.

    • Bank: Westpac Bank
    • Account Name: Dunedin City Council
    • Account Number: 03 0905 0184000 07

  • Will information about my building consent become public?

    In accordance with the Privacy Act 1993, the information you provide on a building consent application is required so that the application can be processed under the Building Act 2004. Dunedin City Council collates statistics relating to issued building consents and has a statutory obligation to regularly forward these to Statistics NZ.

    Dunedin City Council stores the information on a public register which must be supplied (as previously determined by the Office of the Ombudsmen) to whosoever requests the information.  Under the Privacy Act 1993 you have the right to see and correct personal information Dunedin City Council holds about you.

Still didn't find what you were looking for?